Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011

I wasn't too good this year about posting something every day that I'm thankful for. Mostly because my life the last few weeks has been insanely busy. But through the stressful and emotional moments of the last month or so, I just kept telling myself "you just have to make it to Thanksgiving. If you can make it to Thanksgiving you'll be golden." Well, boys and girls, I made it. And I'm golden.

Because life has been so crazy, I haven't really been thinking much about Thanksgiving itself. And now it's here. Laying in bed this morning it took me only about three and a half seconds to decide what I'm thankful for.

In all my life I have never felt so at home and so welcomed in a group of people as I do in the theatre department at the University of Utah. The awkward transition period was virtually nonexistent. I went, rather quickly, from knowing absolutely no one to having friends in every corner of PAB. I can't walk down the hall of the Performing Arts Building without being mauled down with hugs. It's a great feeling to be accepted and I hope it never goes away.

A huge part of this is thanks to my involvement in Hair. Had I not done Hair I would have only really known the people in my class and not the upperclassmen. The Tribe made my transition to University seamless. I found love in that group of strangers so easily it was astounding. I've never been so sad for a show to close. If I didn't have classes to go to and papers to write all the time, I would definitely be able to perform that show long term. But though the show has closed and we've been forced to move on to other things, the tribe still exists. And I will always be grateful to them.

And because I'm close to those in the tribe, I've become close to other upperclassmen who were not involved in Hair. I've honestly met some of my soul mates in that building and I'm so excited for the next few years with them.

I'm also incredibly grateful for my class. The ATP class of 2015 (that sounds so far away!) is a great group of kids (and a few really old kids). We've gotten really close lately and I'm so excited about our future together. I can't wait to grow, learn and create with these people.

My life isn't perfect. It never is. But when life gets especially imperfect,  it's nice to know that I have a place to call home and a people to call a family.

Life is good.
MJ

No comments:

Post a Comment