Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Day 7- Raise Your Glass

Day 2 – Tell us about your job. 
Day 3 – Your idea of the perfect first date. 
Day 4 – Your favorite photograph of your best friend. 
Day 5 – A photo of yourself two years ago. 
Day 6 – A photo of an animal you’d love to keep as a pet. 




Day 7 – Your dream wedding.
Title- Just cause it's my theme song. I love it. 




I admit that I've been avoiding this blog. In fact I honestly considered just skipping it, kind of like I skipped class the day we were discussing the issue in my National Government class. But in the end I thought "what the hell?" If I can't blog about something personal, and at times painful, then I shouldn't be able to blog at all.


The truth is that marriage is an incredibly difficult thing for me to think about, much less write about. And it isn't because it isn't legal (yet). There is not a single doubt in my mind that there will be a day when every state will allow and recognize gay marriage. Perhaps it will be manyears. Perhaps it will be one. But I do believe it will happen. I just pray that I will be alive to see it. It wasn't until 1967 that people of different races were allowed to marry, forty years later it seems silly to think otherwise. Hopefully gay marriage isn't too far behind.


But this isn't a political blog about human rights. And, like I said, the topic isn't difficult because of the legality of gay marriage. It could be perfectly legal, and it would still be a tender subject. 


It's tender to me because weddings are supposed to be a happy time. And on the day of my wedding, and yes ladies and gents, whether legal or not there will be a wedding, it won't be a happy time for everyone. Family is the most important thing in my life. The decision to live as a gay man was painful only because of I was afraid for my family. Notice I say for and not of. I didn't want to disappoint or hurt those members of my family that do not agree with my decisions. I still wanted to be the perfect, polite, talented and intelligent nephew, cousin, and grandson that I have always been. But, I suppose, that image is shattered. At least for some of them. 


The idea that on the day that I become a husband, I will not be able to look out and see every member of my family smiling and wishing me the best, is murder. Don't get me wrong, I love my family. I truly have the greatest family in the world. I know that not a single member of my family would do anything to hurt me intentionally. And I know that they will love me through it all. I simply don't want to hurt or disappoint or embarrass any of them. And I know receiving a wedding announcement, or shaking hands with my husband, or getting a Christmas card with two male names on it would do just that. It would hurt. It would disappoint. And it would embarrass. I don't blame them for that. It's the way they were brought up. The way they were taught. Changing that would take more than love. It would take a miracle. I'm not the kind of person who can just say "Screw them. Who cares what they think?" Because, the answer is simple. I care what they think. And more importantly I care how they feel. Because I love them.


I don't mean to whine. I have it so much better than so many others. I didn't get kicked out or disowned. I didn't lose my foundation and my life. I just don't get to have what my cousins or my brothers will have. But that's life I suppose.


So, my dream wedding. I don't care about colors or flowers or tuxes. My dream wedding would be one single day when everyone in my life put down the bible, put down the Book of Mormon, turned off Glenn Beck, forgot about Conference talks and Tea Party rallies and just watched me be in love. One day when everyone could be happy that I was happy. One day when just maybe they could be proud of me because I was doing what I wanted. That's my dream wedding. 


I'm sorry if I sound preachy and annoying. I like to think that I'm not the stereotyped loud mouth homosexual who shouts about rights and peace and love. I believe in all those things, but I don't feel the need to shout about them. I don't think that's how battles get won. But this time, I guess I just decided to speak my peace. I hope I didn't offend anyone. I love my family. I love my life. And someday I will love my husband. And in the end, I think that's enough for me.


-mikey-

5 comments:

  1. Michael, you are an amazing individual, and I love you so much. It's been a long road getting there, but I want you to know that I love you for who you are. I love that you are happy, and I love whoever makes you happy. Please know that no matter what, I'll be at your wedding positively beaming. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, may I just say that you absolutely amaze me! You have more courage than I have ever had in my life. Thank you for being a strong example of a wonderful person to me! I wish that I could be so honest and true to myself as you are! First of all, I absolutely Love you with all my heart. I have loved you the same as before I knew you were Gay (am I supposed to use a capitol?)
    Anyways, I am your Aunt (some may not know) and I look up to you more than you probably realize. I admire you. I pray that you will be able to Love and Marry the person you fall deeply in Love with and whom you choose to spend the rest of your life with. And I will be standing and supporting you along the side of my husband, and children. I will admit it may take a getting used to when I get a card with you and another man on it, but hey, I am human also and I am being honest. But because its different doesn't mean I love you less or am dissapointed, just different from what I am used to. But I think its only the first time, then after that, it wont be different. Is that OK to say? I don't know what is politically correct, so sorry if it sounds ignorant! I Love you and am excited to see what you do in your life. Who am I or anyone else to decide what is best for you or the right thing when it is regarding Love? I am so proud of the Man that you have become! I hope that you continue to be honest and stand proud of who you are!
    Love,
    Aunt Steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cried as I read this. I cried because I understand and empathize with the hardship of not wanting to hurt or embarass your family. I cried because I love you and I want you to be happy. This post was positively beautiful and very touching. Like Kelton, I will one day be at your wedding crying again, but at that time because you are happy and in love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael - you are wonderful! When that wonderful day arrives in your life, I hope that I make the invitation list as I would love to watch you marry your soul mate :) Much of what you said completely hit home with me..... you experience the unfair treatment of others for you being gay....and I experience the same for no longer associating myself myself with the Mormon religion. We both have very strong minded families.....but for those of us in similar boats...we have to be there for each other! I think you are one of the bravest people I know and I'm happy & proud to call you family. Love you M!

    ReplyDelete